Dental Checkup - Oral Dental Examinations - Dentist Toronto
Your Oral Exam Checklist
What is your dentist evaluating during your oral dental exam
- Medical and dental history review
- Examination of X-rays
- Evaluation of any past dental restorations including root canals, dental crowns, and detection of any new decays.
- Growth and development of emerging teeth in children
- Exploring your gums (periodontal) for diseases.
- Oral cancer screening and detection of any other abnormal looking areas.
- Functionality of temporomandibular joint (TMJ )
- Aesthetic evaluation of your teeth such as spacing of your teeth and state of your bite.
The different types of X-rays are:
- Panoramic X-ray: gives your dentist a broad view of the entire mouth.
- Bitewing X-ray: allows your dentist to see the crowns on the lower and upper teeth
- Periapical X-ray: helps your dentist see the entire specific tooth and the surrounding bone.
- Occlusal X-ray: helps your dentist see the fit of the upper and the lower teeth when the jaw is closed
Bay College Dental Center dentists use digital X-rays to inform patients about:
- Diagnosis of developmental abnormalities. IE cherubism, cleido cranial dysplasia
- Impacted wisdom teeth's diagnosis and devising a treatment plan - Commonly used to evaluate the status of wisdom teeth and damage to the jaw bones.
- Periodontal bone loss and the engagement of your teeths' roots.
- Locating the origin of dental discomfort
- Diagnosis and assessments for maxillofacial fractures.
- Salivary stones (Sialolithiasis.)
- Evaluation for the positioning of dental implants
- Orthodontic evaluation. pre and post treatment
- Cavity revelation, focusing in the inter-dental
- Carcinoma involving the jaws
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunctions (TMJ) & ankylosis.
- Diagnosis of osteosarcoma, ameloblastoma, renal osteodystrophy affecting jaws and hypophosphatemia.
- And more...